How to copy from right click disabled websites
You might have come a cross a nice piece of information on a certain website and you want to copy paste the information for whatever use, but when you try to highlight the text, right click and copy, you find that all these features have been disable.
In my opinion once you put information on the web, users should be allowed to like copy and read the information offline. The issue of Copyright and Plagiarism can be pursued using other legal channels. I don’t know if you have ever been on a website that has your right click menu disabled, I personally find it very annoying and a bad user experience. Because when you disable right clicking on a website you are not only disabling the ability to copy, but also the following as shown on the picture. So in this article am going to show you how to copy from right click disabled websites.
With many websites being built with WordPress , it is has become quite easy to disable right clicking using plugins. See this article from Harsh Agrawal on How to Disable Right Click on WordPress?
3 ways to copy text from right click disabled websites
- Disable Java Script In Browsers and View Source
- By Editing The Page Source Code
- Using Snipping tool
Disable Java Script In Browsers and View Source
Most websites use Java Script to disable right clicking on websites. So the first thing to do is to disable Java Script on your browser.
Disable Java Script In Google Chrome
Before we are able to view the source, we need to disable Java Script on the browser. In this article I will demonstrate using Google Chrome. Its easy to disable Java Script in Google Chrome Browser. Click on the ‘Customize and Control Google Chrome’ button on the top right corner of your browser. Choose Settings as shown below
Go to the bottom of the settings page and click on ‘Show Advance Settings’
Under ‘Privacy’ click on the ‘Content Settings’
Go to the Java Script and choose ‘Do not allow any site to run Java Script’ and click done.
Once Java Script is disabled, reload the webpage. To view the source of the page do the following:
- Press Ctrl + U on your keyboard or
- Right Click anywhere on the page and choose view source
You can now easily copy the text from the source.
By Editing The Page Source Code
This is actually my favorite way of copying text from right click disabled websites. The thing is, what is preventing you from highlighting/selecting the text you want to copy is a small piece of code which is apart of the page. Once we identify this piece of code we can easily take it out and save the page and view locally.
- Visit the webpage that you want to copy the text from. Make sure you have disabled Java Script on your browser.
- Press Ctrl + U or Right Click and select View Source on the webpage.
- Copy the source code of the page and paste to a text editor, save the file using .html extension
What You Should Look For In The Code
There are many ways to disable text selection and right clicking on web pages:
- Using Java Script
- Using CSS
Some website use CSS to disable text selection. Look for the below code and remove from the source. Save the file and open in a browser you should be able to select the text you want and copy
Copy text from right click disabled websites using snipping tool
- Visit the page that you want to copy the text from
- On your windows, click on the start button and search for Snipping Tool
- Click New and drag over the text you want to capture. Once captured click on the Save button and Save as Type PNG.
- Paste/insert the picture to word and save as PDF
- Use Adobe Acrobat to OCR the PDF then you can easily copy the text
- Highlight and copy the text
Well its my hope that this small hacks will help you copy some information you want. But give credit to other peoples work and lets appreciate one and other. Do you guys have other ways of copy from right click disabled websites?
Leave a Reply